Abdominal muscles, or abs for short, are one of the more popular body parts to work out. Many people have a six pack on their mind and are ready to do everything it takes to get that washboard look. If you have back problems, you may be wondering if an ab machine is even safe to use.
A lot of us have back problems. Be it from past injuries, spondylolisthesis, or arthritis, a weak core can lead to back pain and serious physical issues later on in life.
We all know we should work on our abs every day, but sometimes that is not possible when your back hurts. An ab machine can help reduce back pain and strengthen your core by performing abdominal exercises at home.
What is the best ab machine for back problems? It’s the abs machine that allows you to work on your sit-ups pain-free, providing the best relaxation for muscles and joints. What are ab machines all about anyway?
FitBodyGuide.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
What to look out for in an ab machine if you have a bad back?
- You should avoid hard abs back exercises
- Choose to purchase a machine that takes the pressure off your lower back
- Find a machine that tilts in different movements
- For persistent back pain, you should consult your doctor or a chiropractor.
Our Picks for the Top 5 ab machines for back pain
Core Max PRO
The Core Max PRO delivers 8 muscle-burning full-body fat-blasting exercises that will target your abs, back, butt arms, and legs in just 8 minutes a day. Just choose one of the three levels of resistance (8 levels on the Pro version) and away you go – the machine does all the work.
The Core Max PRO is designed to make working out fun again. The sleek design, convenient features, and brilliant results mean you’ll be saying goodbye to fitness boredom for good.
With no assembly required and a nearly flat fold, this makes the Core Max PRO equipment that is incredibly easy to store. The resistance bands that are included allow you to bring your exercise to the next level.
Multiple customers have comments on its excellent back support. The lower back support has really helped others get those crunches in!
Easy Storage and Assembly
Meal Prep and Workout Videos included
Very gentle on the back
Range of exercise limited
- Get sexy ABS in just 8 minutes a day: Core Max Pro is scientifically designed to combine 8 muscle-burning exercises in 8...
- Dual- action resistance: power-assisted rebound System provides resistance & support in both directions, maximizing results &...
- Customize your workout: customize your routine with 3 resistance levels. Burn calories & firm up while you're sitting down
- Bonus: comes complete with a nutritional guide, digital download workout videos, healthy meal prep videos & FAST results...
- Folds for easy storage: Core Max Pro is designed with ease and function in mind! You can easily store Core Max in small...
The Terra-Core is an air-filled, core building, multifaceted balance machine that can be used to perform a host of exercises from sit-ups and planks to leg raises and push-ups
The Terra-Core was designed to work by itself or with resistance bands, dumbbells, kettlebells, and medicine balls. This one-piece wonder will build balance and agility while toning your core. The bottom side offers pushup handles to help improve upper body strength and stability.
Lifting you off the floor, the Terra Core has helped alleviate many people from workouts from the cold hard floor. Let this be the only fitness tool you need in your home or gym.
Great for Balance
Very Long, some people can struggle with space
- TERRA CORE Balance Trainer BENEFITS are scientifically proven to ENGAGE 4 TIMES MORE MUSCLE GROUPS than the same exercise on...
- The Terra Core is designed to WORK BY ITSELF or with resistance bands, dumbbells, kettlebells, medicine balls, TRX and ALL...
- It's also perfect as an AEROBIC STEP or for CROSSFIT EXERCISES.
- As a WEIGHT LOSS TOOL, the Terra Core is unrivaled. It is OPTIMAL for doing CRUNCHES, PLANKS, BUILDING ABDOMINAL MUSCLES,...
- BUILT TO COMMERCIAL STANDARDS, the Terra Core is TOUGH ENOUGH for ANY HOME GYM. Stores easily. Product tested to WITHSTAND...
Fitlaya Fitness ab Machine
The Fitlaya Fitness Abdominal Trainers is the most ideal and effective method of abdominal workout which your body needs while providing the right exercise intensity, safe, and easy to use. The trainers are designed to develop muscle, enhance metabolism and burn fat effectively. The reformer enables people to tone their abs in comfort whilst working out.
Tighten and tone your core, abs, and back with our fitness ab machine. The heavy-duty steel frame and foam knee cushions make for a comfortable workout, to help you achieve a leaner, longer body. Take 5 minutes to assemble, and you’re ready to begin sculpting your abs, back, and arms.
An ab workout, with no back pain…yes, please. According to many user reviews, this has been the machine for them. When done correctly, the Fitlaya helps to take the strain off your back.
Targets a range of muscles in your body
Light, compact while sturdy
Great for relieving strain from your back
Instructions for set up often not the best.
- 【Professional level ab/core machine】curve track & separated sliders design Involves more muscles take your ab/core...
- 【Easy to Assemble and Space saved】Follow the instructions and take less than 5 mins to assemble the abs machine, easy to...
- 【Stable & Durability】Fitlaya Fitness ABS machine made of heavy-duty steel frame, high quality knee cushion and...
- 【Adjustable Resistance Levels】4 different training and resistance levels can be adjusted to meet different needs,...
- 【LCD Display】The smart LCD training monitor circularly shows the calories burnt, workout time and repetitions.
Core Max Smart Abs and Total Body Workout
A power-assisted rebound system provides resistance and support in both directions, maximizing results and minimizing strain. Choose from three levels of resistance to power your routine. The perfect companion for watching TV or reading a book!
The Core Max 2. 0 is a functional fitness piece of equipment! With both upper and lower body exercise, the Core Max 2. 0 provides a complete workout for the abs, shoulders, back, arms, chest, and legs.
The Core Max is designed to fold away easily, allowing anyone to store it in closets and cupboards without sacrificing valuable space.
Very Similar to the Core Max Pro, not surprising as they are built by the same company. The 2.0 functions very similar to the Core Max Pro, however it does not come with resistance bands. This can greatly limit the workouts you can perform. If you do not need the full range of exercise available, then we strongly recommend getting the Core Max instead.
Easy storage and set up
Minimize strain on crunches
Less expensive than Core Max Pro
Similar to Core Max Pro but without resistance bands
Ab Coaster PS500
The Ab Coaster PS500 is a new revolution in fitness. It’s a complete core workout that allows you to target your lower abs with a bottom-up motion and also sculpt your upper back, shoulders, and biceps all at the same time! The Freestyle swivel seat allows you to turn and work on your main areas of concern: love handles, obliques, lower back, bottom-up abs, and shoulders.
Featuring an all-steel construction, 1.5″ rails, and a 300 lb weight capacity, the heavy-duty Ab Coaster PS500 will deliver years of daily use.
Quoted as having less stress on neck, back and shoulders, the Ab Coaster was designed to be gentle on your back.
All Steel construction with motion seat
Complete Core Workout
While Expensive, it’s the baby in the line up by this manufacture. The more expensive models have a much better build quality.
When your back is playing up the last thing you often want to do is exercise. However with products such as the Core Max Pro or Fitlaya, your worries should be lessened. These 5 products have all helped people to lessen the strain on their back while still getting those cores built up.
Your journey to rock-solid abs starts one site up at a time…just often a smaller first step when you have a bad back.